Thursday, October 20, 2011

Song Review: Are We Still Friends?

Song Review: "Are We Still Friends?" by Je2Rit
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11122247

Ok, I know this one's gonna sound cliche', but I know I won't be the only person who thinks this when the song drops -- man, you sound just like Eminem!  Now, when I say that, that means everything it looks like on the surface.  Meaning that on the good side, you have a great flow; you're on point, you've got the right energy and performance skills, your presence is great, and with a good quality mix, you sound professional and right on point.  Now, that also means you sound almost indistinguishable from a lot of other rappers who "sound like Eminem," but I guess that comes with the territory.

That said, this track is definitely worth a couple plays.  It's a bit of a story, and if you know my work, you know how I get down with those.  The story behind it is familiar and easy to relate to -- friends separated.  J does a great job with being descriptive in his lyrics, painting a great picture throughout each verse, keeping a proper timeline going through the story.

The hook here is eerie, perfect for this tough yet somber beat.  It's performed very well and certainly catchy, you'll be saying it in your head after the song ends for sure.

Overall, I can't put my finger on what's missing from this track, but I feel like the "it" factor is missing here.  I think maybe it's because the track ends on a lower note than what I was expected -- I felt like I was waiting for a climax to the story and never got one.  Whatever the case is, this is a pretty cool track that, to me, is just missing ... something ...

But hey, maybe I'm wrong.  Decide for yourself and check it out below:



N. Talekt

No comments:

Post a Comment