Saturday, October 22, 2011

Song Review: No Mo

Song Review: "No Mo (f/ Ja Mar)" by Stat Boi
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10818072

Stat Boi and Ja Mar collaborate to put together "No Mo," a "no time for games" type of track.  Stat comes in first to deliver a solid introductory verse.  Confident behind the mic and down-to-earth, he turns out a verse that connects with the audience for the most part.  The biggest issue I had with this verse was the mix.  Some of the adlibs at the end of the lines were making it hard to actually hear the words.  Try panning them to the left around 20-40.  It will make a huge difference in clarity.  Also, backups are meant to be backups ... that is, they probably shouldn't be louder than your main vocals.

Still, I enjoyed this verse better than the second verse, which bring in to question, why even have a feature?  Don't get me wrong, Ja Mar doesn't have a terrible verse, it's just that it didn't blow me away.  I'm pretty greedy with verse space on my songs; I don't want a feature unless I know my feature is bringing something to the table I can't.  Maybe because of the song topic here; there's not much Stat could have said in a second verse that wasn't already said in first verse and hook.

Anyway, I digress.  The second verse was cool, but it seemed a bit low and some of the words weren't really spoken well (slurred, almost), making it hard to discern.  There's a difference in a southern accent and not speaking clearly, and having family in the Carolinas and south, I know this was a case of the latter.

One thing I must say about the hook, though.  When I first played the song, I had not actually checked for the title of the song, as I was preparing this blog entry.  The hook dropped and I could have sworn I heard a cow mooing in the background!  I later realized it was the artist harmonizing "Noo Moooo," but it didn't come out so well.  As I mentioned earlier, panning should certainly help here.

Overall, after that initial shock, the track was pretty cool, I thought.  It's not a track built with layers of thought, it's not going to stand the test of time.  But it's an enjoyable track that I'm sure people will be able to relate to and will get a sense of familiarity when they hear it.

All that said, check it out for yourself below:



N. Talekt

2 comments:

  1. its a difference between the Carolinas and mississippi im from the deep south im kuntry is as kuntry does learn southern lit and then and only then will u understand that verse.....but thanks for the comment, help, and support this let us no we have listeners....that just goin make us go harder.....I.B.W.T.
    Teezy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. Never been to Miss, but I know a LOT of country folk lol it's nothing new to me. Giving it a fresh re-listen, I take back a bit on the slurring -- it's not necessary that, but your tone is low but your ad-libs aren't -- again, something to fix in the mixing process. Too much going on makes the verse sound very jumbled and cluttered, but clean that up and the song with be MUCH more enjoyable. I always tell my artists when it comes to quality to hold your standards to the same as industry rappers. When you hear their music, it doesn't sound cluttered, so it's not OK for yours to sound that way. Obviously, getting radio-quality records is not possible for many (myself included), but if you're shooting for that, you'll land somewhere close.

      Delete