Monday, October 17, 2011

Song Review: Boss Pimpin' 2011

Song Review: "Boss Pimpin' 2011" by Boss Game & Jo-Kane
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11126595

Ok, so I'm not gonna lie:  "The Lady in My Life" is one of my favorite songs by Michael Jackson, so when this track dropped, I flipped out!  So I certainly appreciated not only the sample at the end of the track, but also the homage paid in the hook.

Speaking of which, the hook was actually very well done, so kudos to Boss Game here.  Boss Game transitions from singing/harmonizing to rapping just as well as anyone else I've heard.  I feel like the first verse could have been a bit longer to make the song flow a bit more naturally, but it still works.

Both Boss Game and Jo-Kane contribute with a pimpin'-themed verse with all the usual caveats covered.  Both ride the beat with ease, making the entire song an easy and smooth listen.  Jo-Kane has a smoother verse here than the first, which works here as it's a smooth way to end the song; the more excitable flow of Boss Game would have been a bit jarring if it came later in the track.

Overall, while the verses flow very well, I wouldn't say they contribute anything spectacular.  There weren't "stand-out bars," so to speak, but this wasn't that type of track.  The verses did their jobs tying the song together, staying on theme.  Neither is a let-down, and somehow actually complete the song as hook are typically used for.  In this case, though, the hooks stand out and really make the song for me.  They were performed well, and the beat had me rockin' the entire time.

So, a fun song here that's definitely worth a listen or few, and if you're a fan of Michael's version, you'll be groovin' to this in no time.

As always, don't take my word for it, hear it yourself:




N. Talekt

No comments:

Post a Comment